Best Software for Changing Your IP
IP address explained
IP stands for Internet Protocol. It is a unique numerical internet protocol address assigned to each device, therefore, allowing two-way communication to establish a connection to the web.
Upon subscription to an Internet Service Provider (ISP), users are assigned an IP address. There are two types of addresses; a static and dynamic IPs.
Similarly like people have an address of the house and a license plate of a car, IP address works as your identifier on the internet. Therefore, every device has its own unique IP address, which lets you connect to the web.
IP address consists of a sensitive piece of information. Therefore, anyone knowing your IP can quickly pinpoint to your physical location and monitor your online activities.
What is a static IP address
A static IP address never changes, they are also known as fixed or dedicated IP addresses. Therefore if your IP at home is static, then it will always be the same. However, remember that it doesn’t travel with you. Once you leave home and connect to Wi-Fi in another location, you will get a new IP from a new place.
Static IP can be manually configured for any device including desktops, laptops, routers, phones, tablets and any that can use IP address.
It is easy to find and contact users with static IP addresses. This is extremely important for anyone who owns a domain name as they can keep their Internet address fixed at all times. If the IP would change whenever the router was turned off, then their server could become unreachable.
What is a dynamic IP address
A dynamic IP address is also known as ever-changing IP address. It’s the most common address that is assigned to the Internet users by their ISP. It isn’t permanently tied to any of user’s devices.
Your ISP has rights to assigns a new IP to your device by using Dynamic Host Control Protocol (DHCP) every time you reboot your computer or router. However, it is possible that your address won’t change for months.
Ultimately, the primary purpose of your IP address is to keep you connected to the Internet.
Why should you change your IP address
Most of the people don’t think of potential threats online when casually browsing the internet. However, unprotected IP address can reveal a lot of information about your online activities and put your private data at risk. Here are some of the main reasons why you should consider changing your IP address:
- Anonymity and Security – with a hidden IP you can enjoy anonymous and private internet browsing. No-one can see what you are up to online and tie any online activities to you.
- Avoid Internet Surveillance and Mandatory Data Retention – many governments practice internet censorship as well as surveillance. They monitor their citizens’ online activities and spying on people all around the world. Some countries have even implemented mandatory data retention, which allows ISPs to track and store users’ data for up to two years. To protect yourself from nosy governments you can by changing your IP address.
- Unblock Sites and Services – some sites restrict their services to people from certain locations. If you’re trying to access content from a country where their service is unavailable, you won’t be permitted to see the content. However, if you change your IP address to another location where the website is available, you can overcome any restrictions and stream movies, sports, shows, music and perform many more activities without any restrictions.
- Block Internet Hackers – changing your original IP can be very useful if you’re suspecting targeted attacks by internet hackers. Switching IP address will let you block this type of cyber attacks to your vulnerable system.
What is the best IP changer?
If you are fed up with your government’s censorship or worried that you may lose your private data and financial details to internet hackers, then there are a few ways how you can protect yourself online by changing the original IP address. Some of the best IP changer tools are Virtual Private Network services, Proxies and Tor Network.
Virtual Private Network
VPNs allow you to connect to a remote server and encrypt your traffic. Therefore, it makes your web surfing anonymous and inaccessible to your ISP and government. The remote server you connect to assigns you a new IP address in the location of your VPN server.
The main advantages of using a VPN as an IP changer are:
- Your local network administrator, ISP or government is unable to block your access to any websites. Therefore, it lets you bypass internet censorship.
- It increases your security online as VPN encrypts your traffic by sending your data through a secure tunnel.
- Allows avoiding bandwidth throttling by your ISP, therefore getting higher speed access wherever you are.
- Use torrents and file-sharing anonymously.
- Keep your files safe from potential cyber attacks.
However, VPN has also one major downside; good service costs money. If you can afford it, scroll up and take a look at our list of the best VPNs for Changing IP today.
Proxy is one of the easiest ways to change IP. The best part about this tool is that you are not required to download any software on your computer or mobile device. However, Proxy service is the most useful if your primary purpose is to unblock some particular site that is unavailable in your physical location. You just need to find a suitable proxy, key in the name of the website you wish to visit, and it will instantly open the site you want to access.
Moreover, this service is perfect tool even if you’re not an admin or owner of the device you use.
Unfortunately, Proxy doesn’t provide you any online security and privacy. Also, it can easily get blocked by any website administrator; therefore, your long-term access may not be guaranteed.
Another great tool that allows you achieve the necessary results and change your IP address.
Tor Network is run by volunteers. It is popular with people who are looking to avoid internet filters and content blocking.
Unfortunately, one of the biggest disadvantages of this technology is its slow performance speeds. However, if you’re okay with long loading times, then your online security is assured.
To find out, visit a website of the Tor Project.
How to change my IP address with VPN
It is quick and straightforward to change your IP address with a VPN service. It only takes you a few minutes to sign up for a VPN account and it up. Here’s a step by step guide on how to use VPN for IP changing:
Step 1: Decide on a VPN service. Go to its website and register for an account.
Step 2: Download and install VPN client. The best VPNs provide software for all devices and operating systems. If you need any guidance, you may access setup tutorials on your VPN’s website or contact customer support.
Step 3: Login to your account and search for a server location (e.g. the United Kingdom VPN server) you wish to access. Then press to connect.
Step 4: That’s it, your IP address has been changed and is in a location of the VPN server you have connected.
Conclusion – Change My IP Address
Changing your IP address is one of the main steps to achieve full online security and protect your data. While there are many ways to modify the Internet address, one of the most advanced technologies is a VPN service. It not only allows you to change IP address but also encrypts your internet traffic making sure your data is safe from your ISP, government and even internet hackers.